Monday, August 11, 2008

Lunch on the Run is Making a Difference


Martinsville, VA - Forty-eight year old, Barbara Thompson thanked Activate and the Henry County Bike Club for changing her life at a recent Lunch on the Run walk. After losing her job, Thompson was uninspired to do anything that she didn't have to do. "I was gaining weight and my cholesterol and blood pressure was high. I knew I needed to do something but didn't want to do it alone." Thompson saw an ad in the Martinsville Bulletin about Lunch on the Run, a group walk managed by Activate and led by volunteers of the Henry County Bike Club. She decided to try it out. Five months later, Thompson's blood pressure and cholesterol are both lower and her medication has been cut in half.

"I have met some terrific people and made some really wonderful friends. They lifted me up, encouraged me and provided the drive to want to better myself. I am walking regularly now and have started biking. If you told me months ago that I would be on a bike riding with traffic in Uptown, I would call you crazy. To have the wind in your face and friends by your side - it is a feeling that will stay with me for a lifetime."
Photo and article by Jeannie Frisco
Way to go Barbara! -JD & BW

No comments:


www.DanRiver.org